Saturday, March 10, 2007

SXSW'07 Day 1 - Gone to Texas...

After a fairly uneventful flight, save for the near miss witnessed by Paul through my window, we arrived in Austin. We took a cab to the Hyatt Regency hotel and found our room missing something - namely the second bed.

Moving down from the 14th floor remedied that, so, after struggling to set up the WiFi and checking some work email, Paul & I set off to register. This took longer than expected, queuing up just to enter the queue upstairs.

We managed to take in the first panel, all about "Snakes on a Plane" and we were set for the second panel about "rawk"ing SXSW. Saw quite a few of the panelist later at the "Break Bread with Brad" party.

Best food so far - Cheese & Jalapeno hotdog with Curry Ketchup!

technorati tags:, , ,

Blogged with Flock

1 comment:

Paul Fresty said...

Let me just add something here. The near miss David refers to was something I have never seen in my many years of air travel. Dave and I were chatting, him in the window seat and me in the aisle seat. The window was behind him and a little over his shoulder as I looked at him.
Out of nowhere another airplane came screaming past us. CLOSE... and i mean really close. At 40,000 feet, you are not used to seeing that. This was literally a near mid-air collision. I have heard that if 2 planes are within a MILE of each other that it is considered a near miss. This was more like 100 yards. The contrail of the plane passing us was literally right over our wing at one point shortly after the miss.
Did I mention that the plane was flying right AT us? I figure we were traveling at maybe 500 mph right? The other plane was probably traveling near the same. So the closing speed of 1,000 miles an hour really made the whole episode happen very fast. In fact, by the time i screamed and Dave turned around, he really could only see the tail of the other plane some distance back.
Let me just say... this was a near miss in every sense of the words.