Saturday, September 06, 2008

The newest arrival in the Mead household...

cardboard boxI came home Thursday and there it was.  A nice dull-brown cardboard box sitting on the table. Within lay my first-ever self-bought laptop.

I have always used the ones from my work, but when I started at my new job I felt this was the chance to have my own.  I consulted Tom (oracle of laptops) and wanted something as similar as I could get to the Dell Latitude D820 I had at Optiem.  He fired me across some recommendations and I settled on the Acer Extensa 5620Z.

This laptop comes with 4 USB ports, S-Video and one for our digital video camera. The 3GB of RAM and 160GB HD is nice, though I'm not a fan of the pre-partitioning 70/70.

It's pretty light weight, has a built in web cam and Vista installed (which I'm giving a week to see if I need to go back to XP).

new laptopIt has been a little tedious installing everything (couldn't deactivate my Fireworks CS4 beforehand) but so far everything is going well.  The screen is good, camera is working, and my fingers are getting used to the new keyboard.

So I'm now loading it up with Flock, Evernote, Open Office, VLC media player, Miro and a lot other fave apps.  Only problem so far has been iTunes not seeing the music on the external drive without importing it all again.  Glenn pointed  me to an article that  might help so I'll check that.

Technorati tags: , ,

Blogged with the Flock Browser

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So Jealous! (Except for the Vista)!